Most of the times, during SharePoint debugging,we see that while trying to attach to process “w3wp”, many process with same name are listed.
How to determine which process we need to attach to? As the dialog box does not contain Application Pool details. Follow the steps given below to easily identify the correct worker process.
- Open the Command Prompt with Administrative Privilege
- Change the directory to c:\Windows\System\Inetsrv
- run “appcmd list wp“. It would list all the worker processed with ID and application pool information:
4. Find out process ID associated to the web application pool you want to debug.
5. Go back to Visual Studio “Attach to Process” dialog box and associate to correct process with ID we got in Step # 4.
If you encounter problem while creating new project in VS2012 on 2013 VM, follow steps given below:
Error: C#2012 compiler could not be created
Check the following settings:
Tools->Options->Text Editor->C#->General->Auto list members
Tools->Options->Text Editor->C#->General->Parameter information
Show completion list after a character is typed
Tools –> Import and Export Settings -> Reset all Settings
Instead of changing it for only C#, change it for all the languages
Tools > Options > Text Editor > All Languages
Run following command on VS2012 x86 Native Tools Command Prompt
gacutil /u Microsoft.VisualStudio.CSharp.Services.Language.Interop
If you are unable to delete the assembly, follow steps given in